[ros-users] ROS Electric Support for OS X Lion

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Sun Aug 14 22:29:37 UTC 2011

Thanks for looking into this.

On a separate issue, what is the reason for the brew install of
Python?  Is there some issue with the default Apple install?

thanks,
 - Ken

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like the way brew is linking it or using libtool causes the
> libgtest.la file to never be created, because installing manually from
> source works for me.  I filed a ticket on Homebrew's github
> here: https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/issues/7009
> In the mean time I have created a sourcedep for it and when it is fixed by
> homebrew I will switch to using that again.  The latest patches should work.
> Also as a side note for others, I find it useful to make a copy of ~/ros
> before the patching step (something like cp -r ~/ros ~/clean_ros) so I can
> test new patches without downloading a new ros each time.  I use this: `rm
> -rf ~/ros; cp -r ~/clean_ros ~/ros` to "reset" my ros.
> Let me know if that works,
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> William Woodall
> Graduate Software Engineering
> Auburn University
> w at auburn.edu
> wjwwood at gmail.com
> williamjwoodall.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I had not tested them, but I can confirm that doesn't work for me either.
>>  I have had weird stuff happen to me on OS X with gtest before, this is
>> something we'll have to investigate.
>> Thanks,
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> William Woodall
>> Graduate Software Engineering
>> Auburn University
>> w at auburn.edu
>> wjwwood at gmail.com
>> williamjwoodall.com
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for putting this together.
>>>
>>> On your setup, are the tests working?  I'm having trouble getting
>>> rosbuild to work with the gtest provided by brew.  I've seen this same
>>> error on two different OS X machines (Lion, Snow Leopard), though I
>>> haven't reset things to go through your instructions step by step:
>>>
>>> (output snippet, e.g. 'roscd test_roslib; make test')
>>>
>>> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/local/lib/libgtest.la
>>> -D_THREAD_SAFE', needed by `../test_package'.
>>> make[4]: Target `CMakeFiles/test_package.dir/build' not remade because
>>> of errors.
>>> make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/test_package.dir/all] Error 2
>>> [  0%] Built target clean-test-results
>>> make[4]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/local/lib/libgtest.la
>>> -D_THREAD_SAFE', needed by `../test/utest'.
>>> make[4]: Target `CMakeFiles/test/utest.dir/build' not remade because of
>>> errors.
>>> make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/test/utest.dir/all] Error 2
>>> make[3]: Target `CMakeFiles/test.dir/all' not remade because of errors.
>>> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/test.dir/rule] Error 2
>>> make[2]: Target `test' not remade because of errors.