[ros-users] ROSjava and non-standard messages

Mark Rowan m.s.rowan at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Aug 15 17:00:48 UTC 2011

Hi Ken,

On 15 August 2011 17:36, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Mark Rowan <m.s.rowan at cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>> 1). How do I obtain / compile the remaining message types, e.g.
>> nav_msgs, so they can be added to my ROSjava code?
>
> Per above, you declare a dependency on nav_msgs and you also have to
> run rosmake.

Thanks. I see how it works now -- very neat.

>> 2). Does this now mean that I *have* to use rosmake (including making
>> required changes to the manifest file, etc) on my Java code?
>> Previously I was quite happy editing code, compiling it using javac,
>> and running it using "rosrun rosjava <package>.<class>" on the command
>> line.
>
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosjava/Overview/Build#Building_your_ROS_package
>
> "After you have run rosmake my_pkg, you can use ant to do subsequent
> builds that are much quicker."
>
> ... you can also do whatever you wish by hand, though using ant is a
> lot easier that running javac.

Ok, I've got ant working (thanks to the supplied build.xml on the
rosjava wiki page you linked to, although there was a small error in
the XML file which I've corrected on the wiki) but I can't seem to
find any way to run the compiled classes using rosrun. Is this
possible, or do we have to manually execute nodes using java
-classpath <path> package.class ?

Thanks again,

Mark

--