[ros-users] ROS package git repository conventions?

Lorenzo Riano lorenzo.riano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:44:07 UTC 2011

I think the question is more like "Should Berkely (or any other institution)
have one repository for all the stacks it produces, even if there are
inter-stack (or package) dependencies, or should it have one repository per
stack?"

My suggestion (similar to the the answers.ros one) is to have one repository
per stack, with possible sub-modules (if you're using git). In this case the
ROS indexer should be able to crawl all the repositories that belong to an
user, recognize which of them is a ROS stack, then update the software index
accordingly.

On 16 August 2011 16:31, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Ibrahim Awwal
> <ibrahim.awwal at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > Hi ROS users,
> >
> > We're considering/planning on switching to git/github for the Berkeley
> > ROS package. What are the conventions on structure and such that people
> > are using? With svn we have a url like this
> > http://ros.berkeley.edu/svn/berkeley-ros-pkg/ with all our stuff, with
> > git would it be preferrable to have one repo called berkeley-ros-pkg or
> > separate repos for each stack and maybe link them together with
> > submodules? What are other people doing that are using git? It seems
> > like at least TUM is using separate repos per project on their git repo
> > (which seems to be the much more sane route) but I was wondering if
> > there was any requirement to have something called foo-ros-pkg
> > somewhere. Thanks,
>
> There is a Q&A on ROS answers about git:
>

> http://answers.ros.org/question/1278/can-a-single-git-repository-release-multiple-ros
>
> Briefly, the answer was "one stack per git repo".
>
> I don't know about any requirement for a foo-ros-pkg repo.
> --
>  joq

Lorenzo Riano, PhD
Research Associate