[ros-users] ROS package git repository conventions?

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 16 15:51:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Ibrahim Awwal
<ibrahim.awwal at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi ROS users,
>
> We're considering/planning on switching to git/github for the Berkeley
> ROS package. What are the conventions on structure and such that people
> are using? With svn we have a url like this
> http://ros.berkeley.edu/svn/berkeley-ros-pkg/ with all our stuff, with
> git would it be preferrable to have one repo called berkeley-ros-pkg or
> separate repos for each stack and maybe link them together with
> submodules? What are other people doing that are using git? It seems
> like at least TUM is using separate repos per project on their git repo
> (which seems to be the much more sane route)

One stack per repository appears to be the goldilocks sweet spot of
organization for any DVCS (e.g. git, hg).  We generally try to
organize a stack as a "set of things being co-developed", which is
also the same organization that you generally want to use for a git
repo.

> but I was wondering if
> there was any requirement to have something called foo-ros-pkg
> somewhere. Thanks,

There is no requirement to have a 'foo-ros-pkg'.  In many cases, we
assign this name virtually to a collection of stacks.

 - Ken