[ros-users] Rosco - ros.org checkout tool

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Aug 18 23:08:17 UTC 2011

Here's a different take on a similar idea.  It would be great to
combine into one tool as I think they are coming from the same
motivation of "gimme the code".

https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20110713.092005.2f102738.en.html

To summarize:

# checkout all entries in foo.rosinstall to this directory
rosco foo.rosinstall

# lookup snippet for eigen and check it out
roslocate info eigen --distro=unstable | rosco

script here:

https://kforge.ros.org/kwc/rosco/raw-file/437f02319ff3/rosco

The main distinction is my version takes in a rosinstall fragment
either as a filename or piped output.  The piped output may not be as
straightforward as yours for people to grok.

The main upgrade that yours would need is to deal with branches/tags
properly.  Many of the git/hg URIs require a specific branch.  Also,
you often need to distinguish between the released version of a
package vs. the development branch.

cheers,
Ken