[ros-users] ROS cturtle on openSuSE 11.2

V C vcravi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 13:48:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 18:44, Willy Lambert <lambert.willy at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/8/28 V C <vcravi at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> First off, a big thanks to the community that has created and is
>> maintaining ROS ! You are doing a great job !
>>
>> I am trying to get cturtle working on openSuSE 11.2. Per the instructions
>> on the wiki and earlier discussions on the mailing list, I understand that
>> support for openSuSE is a work in progress, and I would like to add my
>> experience and perhaps contribute a little here.
>>
>> 1. rosinstall: I am doing a "Base install"; we are behind an
>> authenticating proxy here, and while SVN was able to check out the necessary
>> packages with the addition of the necessary config variables in .subversion,
>> the default Mercurial on openSuSE 11.2 (1.3.1) was unable to handle the
>> https check out; I worked around it by manually installing the latest
>> Mercurial release, which was able to handle it correctly.
>>
>> 2. OS detection: cturtle by itself does not detect the OS; however by
>> looking at the latest builds where detection of openSuSE is supported, I
>> managed to include the necessary code in rosdep/{opensuse.py, core.py} and
>> rosbuild/os_detect.py to detect the OS. One doubt I had here was why the
>> lsb_* functions were not being used to detect the OS - on modifying the code
>> to use the lsb_* functions, I find that the OS and version are being
>> detected correctly. Am I missing something here ?
>>
>> 3. rosdep.yaml: I updated all the rosdep.yaml files to autoinstall
>> dependencies from RPMs as far as I could detect them. However, a few
>> dependencies require manual installs (wget <source>; configure-make-make
>> install). These scripts are however not being run with rosdep saying "rosdep
>> check could not check scripts"; I understood from my searches that script
>> installs were not supported under cturtle, but that they are now.
>> Unfortunately, never having used python myself, I am unable to back port the
>> the necessary changes as easily as I could for the OS detection; I will work
>> on it, but I just wanted to understand whether it is feasible and should be
>> attempted. Also, how would su privileges be handled if the build is started
>> as an unprivileged user ? In one case - the cg toolkit - a symbolic link
>> seems required, since the cg toolkit looks for *.so, but the Mesa library
>> installs it as *.so.1; how would this be handled in the rosdep.yaml ? Would
>> the following work, for eg. (mixing an RPM install and a script)
>>
>> nvidia-cg:
>>   ubuntu: nvidia-cg-toolkit
>>   debian: nvidia-cg-toolkit
>>   fedora: Cg
>>   arch: |
>>     if ! pacman -Q nvidia-cg-toolkit ; then yaourt -S nvidia-cg-toolkit;
>> fi
>>   gentoo: nvidia-cg-toolkit
>>   debian: nvidia-cg-toolkit
>>   opensuse:
>>     11.2: Mesa cg cg-devel |
>>       sudo ln -sf libGLU.so.1 /usr/lib/libGLU.so

> [...]
Hi Willy.

I would have preferred to go with diamondback. Unfortunately, a lot of
development has happened on cturtle under Ubuntu and I believe some of it is
incompatible with diamondback without major change; we need to interface
with another system running openSuSE (ditto reasons for not shifting to
Ubuntu there !) and it was decided to go with cturtle. Yes, I am aware that
Electric is due anytime and am trying to get development shifted to Electric
asap.Thanks for the input.

VC