[ros-users] Announcing New Stack: ROSOSC and touchosc_bridge

Michael Carroll carroll.michael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 18:56:30 UTC 2011

Greetings ROS Users,

I am please to announce a new stack that I've been working on: ROSOSC.
 Code and documentation for my "beta" release are available immediately on
the ROS.org wiki: http://www.ros.org/wiki/rososc

ROSOSC is a set of utilities and nodes for interacting with Open Sound
Control hardware and software devices.

One of the main features is the ability to interact with TouchOSC (created
by hexler: http://hexler.net), the iOS application, to create dynamic,
touch-interactive, control surfaces that can be used with ROS.  These
control surfaces can be composed of several different types of controls,
such as push buttons, toggle buttons, faders, rotary knobs, labels and
LEDs.  Most of the controls support two-way communication with ROS, which
allows users to change color, position, size, and visibility of all of the
controls on the page via ROS topics.

There are two main ways of interacting with TouchOSC with ROS:

   - Using a "default handler" - Simply create a layout file in the freely
   available TouchOSC editor, and then launch the ROS touchosc_bridge node.
    All of the controls on the page will show up as topics that can be
   published to/subscribed to using ROS.
   - Using a "tabpage handler" - Users can also create a python module that
   can directly interface with OSC clients.  There are many features available
   to developers, including multiple client support, client join/quit
   callbacks, and client tabpage switching callbacks.  More can be found out
   on the wiki and API documents.
      - API Docs are available on the ROS wiki
      - Two tabpage handlers are included out of the box:
         - Diagnostics_handler - a tabpage for viewing diagnostics and
         aggregate diagnostics data
         - teleop_handler - a tabpage for broadcasting command velocity
         messages to holonomic and differential drive robots.

I hope that you find this useful in your robotics projects, and I'm excited
to see some of the future uses of the TouchOSC and Open Sound Control
interfaces.

To get an idea of the basic features, I have made some YouTube videos:

   - Using the Diagnostics Tabpage: http://youtu.be/xgOYBcAzLBM
   - Using the Teleop Tabpage: http://youtu.be/iPB_6XdgOwA

Thanks,

~mc

(Ken, I have already added this to the indexer)
--
Michael Carroll
http://mjcarroll.net