[ros-users] rviz is moving to Qt, preview available

Dorian Scholz scholz at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 2 16:45:17 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

these are great news!
I tested it today and it seems to work fine.
So I went on and made a first simple integration as a rosgui plugin.
The plugin just loads the rviz_qt lib, instantiates the
VisualizationFrame and puts it into a dockwidget for rosgui.
The code is in the rosgui git and a screenshot of it running next to
some other plugins can be seen here:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8414/rosguirviz.png

I came across one problem though. When I closed the plugin and reopened
it, an assertion is failing:
> python:
> /tmp/buildd/ros-electric-visualization-common-1.6.2/debian/ros-electric-visualization-common/opt/ros/electric/stacks/visualization_common/ogre/build/ogre_src_v1-7-3/OgreMain/include/OgreSingleton.h:80:
> Ogre::Singleton<T>::Singleton() [with T = Ogre::LogManager]: Assertion
> `!ms_Singleton' failed.
> Aborted
I have not yet investigated this any further. I'll file a bug report
when I know more...

Cheers,
Dorian

On 12/01/2011 06:29 PM, Dave Hershberger wrote:
> Rviz is moving from the wxWidgets library to the Qt library as of the
> ROS Fuerte release.  This transition to Qt will improve RViz
> compatibility on more platforms and better integrate with future GUI
> tools.  For more information on the motivation for these changes,
> please refer to the RViz and ROS GUI SIGs:
>
> http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/rviz
> http://ros.org/wiki/fuerte/Planning/ROS%20GUI
>
> This is a fairly big change to the code.  The internal plugin API
> is changed and the Python API will be different (when I get
> it implemented).  The GUI appears and behaves mostly the same as the
> wx version, most of the differences coming from the differences in
> style between wx and Qt and not from intentional changes.  For a list
> of major changes, see visualization_experimental/ChangeList
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/visualization_experimental/ChangeList>.
>
> An early but fairly complete, version of the new code is available
> in the temporary "visualization_experimental
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/visualization_experimental>" stack, which
> works with ROS Electric.  It is available in
> the ros-electric-visualization-experimental debian package.  This
> version does not have python support implemented yet, but all the
> built-in display types, tools, and view controllers work.   I
> encourage rviz users to try the new version (called rviz_qt for now)
> before Fuerte so I can fix bugs and make the transition as smooth as
> possible.
>
> Please report bugs and feature requests to the same place as usual for
> rviz, but with "qt" in the keywords field, like so: report a bug
> <https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/newticket?component=visualization&type=defect&keywords=qt>,
> request a feature
> <https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/newticket?component=visualization&type=enhancement&keywords=qt>,
> list existing tickets
> <https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=visualization&keywords=%7Eqt>.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dipl.-Inform. Dorian Scholz         E-Mail:scholz(at)sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Simulation, Systems Optimization    Phone:  +49 (0) 6151 16-4811
and Robotics Group                  Fax:    +49 (0) 6151 16-6648
Technische Universität Darmstadt    http://www.sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Hochschulstr. 10                    D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany