[ros-users] topic vs tf

Jeff Rousseau <jrousseau@aptima.com> jrousseau at aptima.com
Fri Dec 9 18:39:47 UTC 2011

One particular use case where a tf-only solution would break down is when you need to share geometric data between robots over a lossy connection (802.11b/g/a, zigbee, etc.)  In a multi-robot use case it is usually infeasible to have a single master, so instead you run a master locally on each robot and forward only the pertinent topics that other robots need access to for whatever particular problem they're trying to solve--since /tf is high-bandwidth you have to resort to sharing geometric topics.