[ros-users] Using ODE for 3d algorithms ? instead of gazebo.

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 10 13:47:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

behind the scenes, gazebo uses ODE as it's physics engine, so
basically, you're already running ODE. I'm not totally sure what you
want to achieve. If you want a simulator that provides you with
scenarios/test cases for your 3 dimensional navigational algorithm,
your best bet would probably be to look at the available options
(gazebo, MORSE, USARsim etc.) and use (or modify/customize) one of
them. On the other hand, if you for example want to do some fast
predictive physics simulation inside your navigation algorithm, it
might make sense to look into physics engines themselves (ODE, bullet
etc.).

regards,
Stefan