[ros-users] Announcing New Stack: ROSOSC and touchosc_bridge

Michael Carroll carroll.michael at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:27:19 UTC 2011

There isn't really a greater context at the moment.  It basically started
as a side project when I found the TouchOSC app in the App Store one day.

William and I started driving the autonomous lawnmower with the iPhone
about a year ago, and it sort of developed from that.  I started with just
basic communication with TouchOSC (controls, tabpage switching,
accelerometer, and vibrate motor) at first.  Then I moved on to reverse
engineering the layout files and the layout transfer system (all available
in pytouchosc).

I then figured out that it would be more useful to have a more modular
system that allowed for tabpages to be added like plugins, so that you as a
user could create a layout from say Teleop, Diagnostics, and AppManager
(still in development).  That's the direction that it's headed right now,
but I wanted to get it out there and shake some bugs out and get some new
ideas for the future.

Basically, I got tired of playing Angry Birds, and thought that we should
do more with iPads.

Glad you like it,

~mc