[ros-users] Floor detected as an obstacle?

Marja zurigune0002 at yahoo.es
Tue Feb 1 12:44:38 UTC 2011

First of all, I apologize if this question has been answered before.

We have in mind to work with a laser pointing downwards, so the obstacles
lying in the floor in front of the robot could be detected. If I am not
wrong, ROS works with a 2D map, more precisely with a 2D projection of a 3D
cloud of points. When performing local planning, the new discovered
obstacles are added to the map.

My question is: how does ROS consider the floor when it is not detected
exactly (maybe with some tolerance?) where it is supossed to be? My guess is
that it is considered an obstacle and then a laser readings filtering would
be necessary and the detection of obstacles of small height not
straightforward. Am I right?

I would be very grateful for any suggestion from people working in this
area.

Cheers!

Maria