[ros-users] SICK laser communication problem (baud rate)

intern00 phillip.massey at nist.gov
Wed Feb 2 18:52:24 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am having troubles connecting to my SICK LMS 200 laser mounted on a P3AT
robot. While following the basic sickwrapper tutorials in the ROS wiki
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/sicktoolbox_wrapper/Tutorials/UsingTheSicklms) , I
run into the problem of having the laser understanding the baud rate I am
sending it. Using either rosparam commands or telling it the baud rate with
the rosrun command doesn't change the problem.

I believe this problem is caused because the SICK laser starts off, and only
turns on when I run the rosrun command. From my research it seems as though
this causes the laser to crash. Is there any way to turn on the SICK laser
because I have to run the sicklms node?

Thanks.