[ros-users] nav_view leaving the navigation stack

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 9 00:03:11 UTC 2011

Hey all,

So, for DTurtle, we're trying to remove dependencies on visualization stacks
like ogre from our core stacks. Since navigation falls into this category,
and the nav_view package relies on ogre, it has to move from navigation.
That much is decided. However, I'm not sure exactly where to put the
nav_view package. Do I create a new stack or just throw it in sandbox?

The answer depends largely on how many people in the ROS community use
nav_view over rviz. So, does anyone out there have a strong objection to
nav_view moving to sandbox for DTurtle? If so, what are your reasons for
using nav_view over rviz configured in a similar way?

If there are a lot of people who feel strongly about this, I'll probably
create a navigation_visualization stack to hold nav_view. Otherwise, I'll
move it to sandbox and let it die.

Let me know what you think and hope all is well,

Eitan