[ros-users] Minoru Camera and ROS

abhy abhy.12354 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:26:19 UTC 2011

Hello,

I would like to share my experience on Minoru cam and ROS though i am not
expert in it.  Hope it helps someone who is working on Minoru.

Reference:  http://code.google.com/p/sentience/wiki/MinoruWebcam
http://code.google.com/p/sentience/wiki/MinoruWebcam

I tested Minoru Camera with ROS using following packages:
uvc_camera from camera_umd with camera_calibration and stereo_image_proc
form image_pipeline stack.

1. Attach Minoru to faster USB port.

2. Check if you get two cameras files ls /dev/video*

3. Launch uvc_camera node as:
roslaunch uvc_camera stereo_node.launch
You may get warnings of camera left/right.yaml files missing initially.

4. So, to get Camera parameter and calibrate it use camera calibration
stereo mode:
rosrun camera_calibration cameracalibrator.py --size 8x6 --square 0.108
right:=right/image_raw left:=/left/image_raw left_camera:=/left
right_camera:=/right
Once you get all required matrices update the .yaml files for left and right
camera. Use,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_info_manager
http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_info_manager  or parser to do that.

5. Re-run 3rd step.

6. Execute  http://www.ros.org/wiki/stereo_image_proc
http://www.ros.org/wiki/stereo_image_proc  to get the pointcloud and
disparity.
$rROS_NAMESPACE=/ rosrun stereo_image_proc stereo_image_proc __name:=proc
$ rosrun image_view stereo_view stereo:=/ image:=image_rect_color
This process will open up three windows: Left/ Right/ Disparity

I know there can be better ways other than this for setting up Minoru but i
am not aware of those.

Thanks to all the developers who developed these packages.

- Abhy