[ros-users] Merging Player with ROS

Aslund sebastian.aslund at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:02:34 UTC 2011

Hey everyone

I am starting a project aiming at creating a complete coverage path planning
algorithm on a mobile robot, which I had previous experience with. Here I
developed and implemented a localization algorithm using Player only, but
the increased complexity involved in coverage path planning have made me
interest in using ROS.
While the tutorials gives an excellent overview, then I have not totally
figured out how to add my external Player installation into ROS so I can
create Nodes that takes advantages of the Player libraries.
It is properly a simple task, but I hope someone can take the time to
explain how I solve my problem.
I am using Player 3.0.2 with the newest version from SVN and the newest
version of ROS from the repository on Ubuntu 10.10. The package have I
created using roscreate-pkg with the basic dependencies described in the
tutorial.

Regards

Sebastian Aslund

Master Student in Robotics