[ros-users] Using ROS for a Delta Robot

Wouter van Teijlingen wouter at van-teijlingen.nl
Sun Feb 13 20:09:44 UTC 2011

Hello list,

At the moment i'm involved in a project where we are trying to built a
Delta Robot. So i start reading the docs and tutorials and i've a few
questions.

The kinematic model for the Delta Robot has already been developed; a
inverse and forward model is available to me.

I'm trying to find out if i'm heading the right way. I've found a page
on the ROS wiki named 'Running arm navigation on non-PR2 arm'
[http://www.ros.org/wiki/arm_navigation/Tutorials/Running%20arm%20navigation%20on%20non-PR2%20arm]

Is it right to say that if i implement the functions mentioned in the
article above that i can have a working Delta Robot (kinematic model,
that is)? Is there perhaps a better way?

We are probably going with the Trio Whistle from ElmoMC for controlling
the motors. I think it's best to start with developing the kinematic
model and then implement packages for communication with the controller.
Any tips or ideas on this? I've already found a package with CANopen
support for the Elmo Harmonica
[http://www.ros.org/wiki/cob_canopen_motor] (basically the same as a
whistler)...

--
Kind regards,

Wouter van Teijlingen

A krugerstraat 18 bis - 3531 ap - utrecht
T 06 303 966 51
E wouter at van-teijlingen.nl