[ros-users] Adding a New Stereo System to ROS

Adi Shavit adishavit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:50:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

  I am new to ROS.
I have a 4 camera stereo set using 4 synchronized cameras that are not
supported by ROS.
This is not unlike what PR2 uses.
I would like to use these camera with ROS.
What is the best way to do this?

   1. Do I need to write my own "driver"? That is code that interfaces with
   the camera APIs and publishes to ROS?
   2. In that case, what do I publish? Do I give only raw image output or is
   there a way to publish a stereo pair?
   3. Are there any examples for how to do this, e.g. from some other stereo
   cameras?
   4. What is the easiest way to do this? As I said I am new to ROS.

Thanks,
Adi