[ros-users] Simulating RGB-D sensors in Gazebo

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:00:01 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I recently started looking into possibilities to simulate RGB-D
sensors in gazebo. At least for the moment, I only need non-colored
Pointcloud data, so using a GazeboRosBlockLaser is sufficient for now.
I'm still wondering if that's currently the only possibility and what
other people are using.
John talked about the StereoCamera plugin available in Gazebo that
reads out the Z-Buffer here:
http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/SwissRanger-SR4000-in-Gazebo-td1969784.html
Is there a ROS plugin in the works for this?

Regarding GazeboRosBlockLaser, to make it work in CTurtle, I had to
modify the example given here:
http://www.ros.org/doc/api/gazebo_plugins/html/classgazebo_1_1GazeboRosBlockLaser.html#_details
Among others, I had to add <resRange> or Gazebo would crash, as well
as remove the  <model:physical> and <body:empty> tags. Should I open a
ticket regarding this?

regards,
Stefan