[ros-users] [PCL-users] Minimizing compiler memory, package pcl_ros

futureignobel futureignobel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:22:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

does anybody know, how to minimize the memory needed for gcc/g++ to
compile a particular package? I'm trying to compile the pcl_ros package
on a BeagleBoard-xM, but the compiler crashes each time because the
cc1plus process is being killed due to low memory (BB-xM has 500MB of
RAM). I've read a lot about this already, but found no solution. I've
already been able to compile openni and flann (which also caused errors).

The only thing I'd like to try out and wasn't still able to is adding a
"-finline-limit 600" (the number here may differ) compiler flag, as I
don't know how to use the rosbuild_add_compile_flags(target flag) macro
in case of flags with values.

Any help would be appreciated. I think being able to use Kinect on an
ARM based board would be great and the effort is well worth it. Among
small single board computers, ARM based boards cost 10 times less than,
for instance, the AscTec Atom with similar capabilities.

Also, if anyone out there has got a PandaBoard and would like to check
whether what I've found out so far works with it, please let know.

Cheers, Tom