[ros-users] Including a package dependency in your personnal packages

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 13:28:42 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I am not really sure this question has a place on the ros-answer site (I'll
copy this to it  and auto answer me if you wish).

I am a quite new ROS user and created my ros package which take a dependency
(in my case eigen)
I took my ages to find how to build this with thefollowing lines in my
CMakelists.txt :

#add the eigen dependency
rosbuild_find_ros_package( eigen )
include_directories( ${eigen_PACKAGE_PATH}/include/src )

At the end it seems logical. I don't know if it is about my low knownledge
about CMake, but I passed sometime searching in the documentation without
any clue about this.
First question, is it documented somewhere ? If not I would like to update
the documentation but I don't know where is the rigth place :
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbuild/CMakeLists/Examples : adding the use of
another package for building, espacially the "include" directory (not so
easy to find this page from scratch)
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbuild/CMakeLists#rosbuild_find_ros_package :
adding details about what you have to do after
http://www.ros.org/wiki/eigen/Tutorials : adding the details in each
packages tutorial "how to use me ?"

Then, is it a roadmap in ROS on how a package gives the information to being
used ?
In my example is the include_directories( ${eigen_PACKAGE_PATH}/include/src
) package specific ? or is it a ROS habits ?

Isn't it the job of ros dependencies system to add the includes ? for
example in the <export> section of the manifest.xml ?