[ros-users] Introduction To ROS

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 17:05:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM,  <jabyers at clemson.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Jason Byers and I am an Electrical Engineering student at
> Clemson University. I am doing an undergraduate assignment in which my
> professor wants me to download ROS and figure out how to use it and it's
> SLAM code to build a map of a building and run one of the lab robots
> through this building. However, being an electrical engineering student
> versus a computer engineering student, I am not very good at coding. I was
> wondering if someone could point me towards a tutorial or give me advice
> as to how to at least start this task? I have downloaded ROS, but am not
> really sure as to how I am supposed to use it or even get to it.

Jason,

The documentation page on the ROS wiki should get you started nicely.
By all means take the time to work through a bunch of the basic
tutorials.

 http://www.ros.org/wiki/

Running the SLAM code probably does not require any explicit coding on
your part, but will definitely require you to understand how ROS
components fit together.
--
 joq