[ros-users] Inflation remain in rviz

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 2 18:38:41 UTC 2011

Interesting. I didn't realize that the obstacles themselves were clearing
fine and that just the inflation around them was sticking around. That's
actually pretty strange.

Can you post the parameters you're using to configure your costmaps?

Also, just to check if its some weird visualization artifact in rviz, can
you try unsubscribing and then resubscribing to the inflated_obstacles topic
to see what happens? I'd also be curious to see what uknown_space looks like
for your costmap, so could you subscribe to that as well?

I'm not immediately sure what's going on. The one thought I'm having is that
you could have some thresholds for unknown space that are set too high. So,
when the laser sees an obstacle, it goes into the map, but when the laser
sees through it, instead of going to free space, it becomes unknown and
perhaps I have a bug in the way that I handle old inflation cost around
unknown space. I don't think I did a great job of explaining that, but,
hopefully, the parameters will shed a bit more light on things.

Hope all is well,

Eitan