[ros-users] surfels and rviz

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 2 18:47:12 UTC 2011

Stephane,

We recently addressed the surfels discussions internally, and couldn't come up to a conclusion on whether they make
sense for processing or not. While they are certainly useful for rendering (they were developed for that purpose in
Computer Graphics), we're not sure if they would complement or heavily intersect with the other primitives that we've
been using. We already have points with normals and support size and other features, and we've been using them for
years, except they are called differently.

In terms of adding another point type to PCL, sure, that is possible, but please use pcl-users@, and let's discuss it
asap, so we get it in 1.0. We're more than happy to extend the family of supported types, especially if people want to
use them.

As far as PointCloud2 support goes, diamondback is locked and we cannot make any changes. For RViz again, I'm not sure
exactly what they would bring new... I guess the visualization would be a bit prettier and you would have non-uniform
point sizes? :)

Cheers,
Radu.
--