[ros-users] stereo camera calibration

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Fri Feb 4 23:14:58 UTC 2011

To be specific, once you have image_pipeline trunk overlaid on unstable /
diamondback, you can run:

rosrun camera_calibration cameracalibrator.py [other otions]
--approximate=0.01

This allows a "slop" of 0.01s between image pairs. If you still don't get a
window pop up, you may need to increase the slop. Note: this is because
Python message_filters doesn't have an equivalent of the C++ ApproximateTime
policy yet, so we're using a simpler algorithm. The other stereo
image_pipeline nodes don't require you to set a slop.

Last night I was able to calibrate the narrow stereo pair on a PR2 with
their external triggering (for exactly matching timestamps) disabled. But I
would greatly appreciate other users trying it out with their hardware.

With the other stereo nodes in image_pipeline, you can enable approximate
matching by setting the approximate_sync parameter:

ROS_NAMESPACE=my_stereo rosrun stereo_image_proc stereo_image_proc
_approximate_sync:=True

Cheers,
Patrick