[ros-users] Publications on stereo_image_proc?

Sabrina Kliegl skliegl at zitmail.upb.de
Tue Feb 8 14:07:37 UTC 2011

Hi Kurt,

thank you, that is what I was looking for. Maybe you can answer me some
questions about the current OpenCV implementation of the block matching:

Did I get it right, that you are using a horizontal Sobel filter now
instead of the LoG (as mentioned in the paper)? If so, why only a
horizontal Sobel filter and no vertical Sobel as well?

Is the block matching applied to the images resulting from the edge
detector or to the sharpend original images?

And I wonder how you achieve subpixel accuracy. I suppose the last
magical lines of findStereoCorrespondenceBM(...) to do this:

int p = sad[mind+1], n = sad[mind-1], d = p + n - 2*sad[mind] +
std::abs(p - n);
dptr[y*dstep] = (short)(((ndisp - mind - 1 + mindisp)*256 + (d != 0 ?
(p-n)*256/d : 0) + 15) >> 4);

But I don't get the idea behind it. Can you give me a hint?

Regards,
Sabrina