[ros-users] Multiple camera crash

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 19:07:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Bera, D. <d.bera at tue.nl> wrote:

> I am running into problems with multiple camera nodes running on the same machine. They run fine individually.. One of them is the popular FireWire based videre camera using the standard ROS node for this device  the other is a USB camera for which I use a node that uses openCV to grab images. Starting one kills the other and gives a libdc1394 error.. Is it not possible to use raw1394 and video0 at the same time? Any lead would be very helpful.

I don't have any answers, but do have some questions:

 * Are you using camera1394 with the videre camera?

 * What model camera is that?

 * What version of ROS is this? What OS?

 * What USB camera do you have? Which ROS driver are you using with it?

 * Is that a node you wrote yourself?

 * Can you try one of the other ROS USB camera drivers to see if is
has similar problems? This page lists several, and there are probably
more:

 http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2010/05/testing-ros-usb-camera-drivers.html

 * A few IIDC-compliant USB cameras (such as the Point Grey Chameleon)
 actually work with libdc1394. Could this be one of them?

Perhaps OpenCV and camera1394 conflict somehow in their use of
libdc1394. If so, I would like to know about it.
--
 joq