[ros-users] ROS Diamondback Beta 2

Felix Endres endres at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 9 10:52:47 UTC 2011

Hi Ken,

installed diamondback today via apt-get install ros-diamondback-all and
noticed that it takes a lot of disk space. Examining the package cache
I found that the new knowrob package had 1.2 Gig as .deb and 2.1G when
installed, most of it in the subfolder 3rdparty.

There seem to be two issues that can be easily addressed:
- The package contains .svn folders in the lower levels of the fs-tree
- it contains identical data both compressed and uncompressed

Removing all .zip and .svn/ freed only about ~400M but is a quick
improvement.
Maybe one could remove the uncompressed data instead of the zip-files
but I have no insight here.

Maybe it's a worthwhile idea to generally exclude */.svn/* during the
packaging?

Regards,
Felix