[ros-users] One node subscribes to multiple topics

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Feb 9 23:02:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

You can use boost::bind to add arguments to your callbacks such that you can
know from which subscription a specific callback came.  For an example see
the ros_tutorial on listener_with_userdata
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/browser/stacks/ros_tutorials/trunk/roscpp_tutorials/listener_with_userdata/listener_with_userdata.cpp

Tully

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM, kadir <kadirfu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Let's say I have two nodes; one is publishing "n" different messages to "n"
> different topics and the other one subscribes to all of the topics. But I
> know that -more or less- the publisher node publishes new messages to the
> topics consecutively(I mean first to topic a, then to topic b, then c, and
> so on). All the messages being published have the same sequence_cnt.
>
> What I want from the listener node is that it polls these topics and read
> the new incoming message in each topic one by one to ensure that received
> messages have the same sequence_cnt to avoid checking each message if they
> have same seq_cnt, or synching them.
>
> Do you think it is necessary to create "n" number of callback functions to
> make the listener node grab updated data in an event-based fashion or is it
> better to use request-response based communication between these nodes?
> Does
> ROS services corresponds to a polling operation?
>
> I'm just wondering how would you approach in this case -of course it
> depends
> on the application, but any suggestions-?

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
tfoote at willowgarage.com