[ros-users] 'stackless' packages

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Thu Feb 10 18:52:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Patrick Bouffard
<bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> Unary stacks will probably be as simple as having a stack.xml file and
>> manifest.xml file in the same directory, but we haven't had a chance
>> to spin up a prototype to see what the effect on tools would be.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you now, and I understand
>> your pain -- we feel on our side as well.  The ROS stack separation
>> was simply too much strain on us in this cycle to put in one more
>> thing like this.
>
> Don't get me wrong--it's not that painful a problem on my side! :) I
> just want to avoid creating larger problems than the ones I'm solving.
>
> I don't think the fact that unary stacks are not yet implemented is
> really an issue for me now--the issue is more my ignorance of what
> exactly are all the implications of having packages in stacks or not.
>
> Yesterday, I moved a couple of packages from existing stacks to
> directories that don't have stacks, and also renamed them in the
> process.
>
> For example,
> FROM: starmac_flyer(stack)/flyer_kinect(package)
> TO: starmac_sensors(directory)/starmac_kinect(package)
>
> One thing I noticed is that the change doesn't seem to have registered
> in the ros.org documentation index.

I updated your repo page to use:

<<RepoHeader(starmac-ros-pkg packages)>>

which also lists packages as well.  I see starmac_kinect listed there.

> So is it the case that, without being inside a stack, a package in my
> repository will not be indexed on ros.org? If so then that's a very
> good reason to use a stack.
>
> As it stands now, my "bug #1" is essentially fixed in that the
> extraneous dependencies shouldn't be there anymore. However it seems
> like the unwanted side effect is now that the online documentation is
> messed up.
>
> The main reason I didn't want to make these new directories (e.g.,
> starmac_sensors) into stacks has to do with the stack dependencies, as
> I explained earlier. But I'm thinking that perhaps the best compromise
> right now is to turn those directories into stacks (is stack.xml all
> the indexer requires?) but not to declare any stack dependencies. If I
> did this would the indexer be happy? From what you've said so far it
> seems like that would be the case so long as I don't try to do a
> release.
>
> Thanks for all the help and sorry that I have to throw these questions
> at you at such a busy time. When things quiet down a bit one thing
> that probably would help is to have some documentation on the indexer,
> since a lot of my questions seemed to essentially boil down to things
> that the indexer documentation would address.
>
> One more thing--it occurs to me that if it were possible to declare
> "optional" (or perhaps "recommended") stack dependencies, then that
> would also help in this case. Let me know if this is something I could
> ticket for consideration.

I'm not sure what optional dependencies would mean from an
installation point of view. I assume the fact that the indexer is
working that you don't need this feature?

 - Ken