[ros-users] ROS port to RTEMS ?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Feb 10 20:52:18 UTC 2011

On 02/10/2011 02:03 PM, Yann Sionneau wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What would you think about a port of ROS to the RTOS RTEMS ?

This looks like a useful collection of software.  The first
questions I have to ask are:

+ Is RTEMS a feasible target?
    - Are there assumptions in the ROS SW that would
      prevent it from running on RTEMS?
+ Does anyone at ros.org care?
+ Would anyone at ros.org want to co-mentor?

If they are interested and this is feasible, then it
is worth writing up as a project.
> As you may know, the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is in its
> starting-blocks [1], the RTEMS project [2] has just launched a call for
> Open Projects [3] in order to add some more items to the list of doable
> projects for the GSoC.
>
> I thought it would be a good idea to port ROS to RTEMS since you seem to
> all run ROS under Linux, or Linux-rt or even Windows.
>
> I don't know if ROS is planning in applying to be an organization part
> of the GSoC 2011, but RTEMS definitely is.
>
> So maybe it can be a RTEMS project, or a ROS project :)
>
> I just wanted to know your opinion on this question !
>
> [1] -
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/01/google-summer-of-code-announced-at-lca.html
> [2] - http://www.rtems.org/
> [3] - http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2011/february/msg00034.html
>
> Regards,

    Support Available             (256) 722-9985