[ros-users] Move_base fails

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Feb 10 21:21:44 UTC 2011

Abhy,

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM, abhy <abhy.12354 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Eitan,
>
> Sorry for the late reply on this. So, far i am still testing with the
> move_base and initial pose.
>
> According to your pose, it is clear that we have to publish an initial pose
> of the robot to make it localize. But, It wont be easy in our case to set a
> position from rviz since we have created an interface (Custom) to control
> the robot remotely written in java. so, i found a package ar_pose which i
> managed to test it properly.
>
> Here my approach is, to fixed the pattern on ceiling and x,y,z of it
> accordingly and let the robot camera identify its initial pose comparing
> distance. publish it through on initial topic. This i tested and I could
> able to do get reference x,y,z of robot but i am still not getting point
> cloud in rviz.
>
> I just wanted to know if this approach is fine and why it is still not
> publishing point cloud in first launch when initial pose topic is being
> published propely.

Your approach seems fine in principle. Perhaps something is awry with the
initialpose message you're sending. Are you sure that its in the right
frame? (You probably want "map") Can you rostopic echo initialpose when you
send it and post the output? You might also want to echo it when you set the
pose from rviz and check to see if there are any obvious differences.

Hope this helps,

Eitan