[ros-users] Inflation remain in rviz

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Fri Feb 11 17:35:29 UTC 2011

Xiaojun,

OK... so you're up to date with CTurtle, which is good.

A few more questions:

In the video you sent, it looks like you're just displaying the VoxelGrid
and not its 2D projection... which is published on the
"move_base/local_costmap/obstacles" topic. I didn't notice this before, but
the box is definitely unchecked in rviz in the video, and now it makes me
think that you have obstacles in the VoxelGrid below the height of the map
that would actually show up on the "move_base/local_costmap/obstacles"
topic.

Can you try a few things:

1) Subscribe to the "move_base/local_costmap/obstacles" topic and report if
it provides inconsistent data with
"move_base/local_costmap/inflated_obstacles"

2) Turn off the visualization of the map, look at the markers displayed for
the VoxelGrid and see if there were actually cells that were not getting
cleared near ground level.

My current take on what's happening is that you're using the
ground_object_cloud for both marking and clearing, but, assuming that floor
scans are filtered out of the cloud... its actually having trouble clearing
out obstacles that are close to the floor because the scans are not being
used. Typically, I'll mark based on a filtered scan, but clear based on the
raw scan. For you, that would mean changing "clearing" to false on the
ground_object_cloud and using the raw tilt_scan with "marking" set to false
and "clearing" set to true as an additional observation buffer.

Hope this helps,

Eitan