[ros-users] Basic Odometry/tf information

Prasad Dixit abhimohpra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 06:02:58 UTC 2011

Hello Tyler,

To inform you about our stack we have links like:
 /map->/odom->/base_footrprint->/laser_link

We are getting inputs from laser to stack (Laser observations),
base_footprint gives an idea about robot base frame which is a Local frame.
Where odom gives you current x,y, theta co-ordinates w.r.t /world or /map
frame which is global. /Map can plan global parameters and path.

We use gmapping in which we require Laser values accurately and odom in
support (though they are not accurate) but later for planning and
localization you would require good odometry. So, here we are using
/base_footprint as robot model parent link and /base_laser_link child to it.

Hope this helps.
Prasad