[ros-users] Videre STOC Problem

Patrick Goebel patrick at pirobot.org
Sat Feb 12 16:18:42 UTC 2011

I'd like to add another data point to this thread with the new Videre
STOC camera I recently acquired but I'm having difficulty getting off
the ground.  The camera works fine under Windows using the SVS software,
so then I tried it under Ubuntu 10.04 (kernel 2.6.32-25) on the same
machine (dual boot) and therefore using the same hardware.

Running coriander I get the following error:

"Warning: could not find a Digital Camera on the bus".

So I already suspect something wrong with Firewire under my Ubuntu
setup.  But I press on anyway.

When first trying to run smallv I got the following error:

"error while loading shared libraries: libraw1394.so.8: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory"

I have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly according to the Videre
instructions so I did:

sudo ln -s libraw1394.so.11.0.1 libraw1394.so.8

which is the version on my system and now smallv comes up fine. However,
it does not see the camera on my Firewire port.  In the Debug window I
see that no IEEE 1394 cards are found:

SVS Debugging Window

Pixel depth: 24
[dSystem] 0 card(s) found, 0 node(s)
[dSystem] No IEEE1394 card found
SVS version 4.4f -- DCS Digital Stereo Interface
MMX presence: 7
0 devices found:

I made sure I am a member of both the disk and video groups and I did a
chmod 777 on dev/video1394/* so that ls -l dev/video1394/* gives:

crwxrwxrwx+ 1 root video 171, 16 2011-02-12 07:59 0
crwxrwxrwx+ 1 root video 171, 17 2011-02-12 07:59

The output from lsmod includes:

raw1394                22271  0
video1394              13050  0
ohci1394               26950  1 video1394
ieee1394               81181  3 raw1394,video1394,ohci1394

One last thing: I have registration keys for the SVS software, one for
Windows and one for Linux.  The Windows key was necessary for
installation but I don't see any reference to how to install the Linux
key so I don't know if that could be the problem.

No doubt I am missing some key step to setting up Firewire under Ubuntu
but I am stumped.

Thanks!
patrick