[ros-users] Filling in all fields of a ROS msg in C++, at once

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 12 22:40:08 UTC 2011

Hi Steven-

I don't think there is. I wrote myself a helper file with a bunch of
functions to populate and return a variety of message objects like that so I
could do it in my main code in a single line.
e.g.

    std_msgs::ColorRGBA createColorMsg(double red, double blue, double
green, double alpha)
    {
        std_msgs::ColorRGBA color;
        color.r = red;
        color.g = green;
        color.b = blue;
        color.a = alpha;
        return color;
    }

It seems like a collection of functions like this would be very helpful in
general, but I'm not sure where it should live. It seems the best solution
would be if each message type included such a function with it, or better
yet, a constructor that supported this, but that would imply some additional
automation in the message generation script...To the ROS devs: How hard
would it be to make the message generation step include an overloaded
constructor for each message type that could take in values?

--Adam

Adam Leeper
Stanford University
aleeper at stanford.edu