[ros-users] Introduction To ROS

Patrick Goebel patrick at pirobot.org
Sun Feb 13 14:54:11 UTC 2011

Hi Jason,

Yes, ROS is mostly command line based via the terminal application.
This will become more familiar as you work through the tutorials.  It
sounds like the ROS bin directory is not in your PATH environment
variable.  Assuming you have installed C-turtle on Ubuntu Linux, when
you execute the command:

printenv PATH

you should see

/opt/ros/cturtle/ros/bin

as part of the output.  Also, when you say you went though the
environmental setup portion, double check that you have run the
following commands:

echo "source /opt/ros/cturtle/setup.bash" >> ~/.bashrc
. ~/.bashrc

Note the . at the beginning of that second command.  Then make sure you
run the second command in any open terminal windows (or simply close
them then bring them back up again).

The .bashrc file gets run whenever you bring up a new terminal window
and it sets various environment variables such as PATH.  The ROS
environment setup commands listed above cause the ROS setup.bash file to
be run as part of your .bashrc file.

If you still have trouble, consider posting the contents of your .bashrc
file here.

--patrick