[ros-users] Adding a New Stereo System to ROS

Adi Shavit adishavit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 18:35:22 UTC 2011

Hi Jack,

 ... more below...

>   I am new to ROS.
>
> Welcome!

Thanks!

> > I have a 4 camera stereo set using 4 synchronized cameras that are not
> > supported by ROS.
> > This is not unlike what PR2 uses.
> > I would like to use these camera with ROS.
> > What is the best way to do this?
>
> That depends on what kind of cameras they are.

VRMagic Multisensor Intelligent
Cameras<http://www.vrmagic.com/imaging/cameras-framegrabber/multi-sensor-cameras/>
.

> > Do I need to write my own "driver"?
>
> Yes, unless someone has already written one.

I was afraid you'd say that. ;-)

> > What is the easiest way to do this? As I said I am new to ROS.
>
> The extra ROS wrapping for publishing camera data does not involve
> much additional code, but does require a basic understanding of the
> image pipeline. So, study the interfaces and look at examples of other
> drivers, then ask more questions.

Thank you, I will.

BTW, is there a "mock" camera module, that I can feed AVIs or other video to
simulate a camera?
This will help me with debugging and also with understanding the whole
pipeline.

Thanks,
Adi