[ros-users] remapping tf frames

Patrick Bouffard bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Feb 19 18:06:50 UTC 2011

Hi Marc,

Funny you should ask this as I just encountered the exact same issue
yesterday. Though in my case I just want to 'push down' the frame
names into a namespace along with all the other frames I use, in
anticipation of multiple vehicles in the future.

Anyhow, I don't have a solution that doesn't involve changing the
driver, but I did so and can offer a patch--unfortunately though the
source code is at the lab and I can't get at it at the moment. But let
me know if you want it and I can get it to you in a day or so.
Basically what I did though is to implement the (somewhat obscure,
IMO) ~tf_prefix parameter (which if I understand correctly, should
always be implemented by producers of tf data.. maybe someone can
comment). So in my case I set tf_prefix to, e.g., "pelican1", and the
frame_id's of the published point cloud and images are
/pelican1/<original_frame_id>.

Another solution might be to use the 'rewrite' branch of the driver,
though I haven't tried it yet. But it looks like you can directly
specify the whole frame id in the launch file:

https://github.com/ros-pkg-git/ni/blob/rewrite/openni_camera/launch/openni_node.launch

HTH,

Pat

P.S. You can now use answers.ros.org to ask this sort of question.
Actually if you repost your question there I'll repost this answer,
and then we can add 'tf' tags and all that goodness.