[ros-users] [PCL-users] release vs relwithdebinfo

Nizar Khalifa Sallem nksallem at laas.fr
Tue Feb 22 19:58:47 UTC 2011

At Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:51:57 -0800,
Radu Bogdan Rusu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This question is mainly for our ROS PCL users, as that's the only forum where we provide binaries for PCL (via DEB
> packages)...
>
> We did some tests yesterday and we discovered that in its default "RelWithDebInfo" configuration, the perception_pcl
> stack libraries occupy around 300MB, due to the explicit template instantiations that we do there. (More on how to
> improve this for 2.0 later.) However, when changed to "Release", the entire think dropped to 30MB or so.
>
> Right now we have no way to change between the two modes while we build the debian packages (we could create a ticket
> for that if we feel it's necessary), so we have to select one or the other.
Hi Radu,

You don't need nothing for this as it is handled by cmake you can even
pass it in force throug -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release or
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=DebugWithInfo or -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug but for
other kind of builds you will probably need more work but for those
ones they are recognized by cmake.