[ros-users] [Orocos-users] orocos_toolchain_ros for debian

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 22:55:26 UTC 2011

2011/2/22 Peter Soetens <peter at thesourceworks.com>

> > > it answers :
> > > ard at ard-host-v5:/media/DD_data/home/ard$ rosrun ocl deployer-gnulinux
> > > [rosrun] You have chosen a non-unique executable, please pick one of
> the
> > > following:
> > > 1) /home/ard/ros/orocos_toolchain_ros/ocl/bin/deployer-gnulinux
> > > 2) /home/ard/ros/orocos_toolchain_ros/ocl/install/bin/deployer-gnulinux
> > > #?
> > >
> > >  I know there are egal because one is the "make installed" version of
> the
> > >
> > > other, by I find it is strange and prevent from starting it
> automatically
> > > after boot (of course I have solutions to avoid this, but the rosway
> > > should work no ?)
> > >
> > > I makes me thinking about folder size and orocos_toolchain_ros is 1,7Gb
> > > on my computer x-(  I know there is some hard work on code size
> > > reduction on the Orocos side but nearly 2gb is quite huge.
> > >
> > > Does it exist a "rosmake clean" instruction ?
> >
> > Let me up this subject,
> > after having built the orocos_toolchain_ros it seems it's a bit messy
> with
> > build and installed files. Firstly, rosrun find 2 executables for
> > deployer-gnulinux and can't choose.
>
> We're still looking on how to solve this. The problem is that we require a
> 'make install' in ocl because the headers are included using
> 'ocl/Header.hpp'
> by user code, while they are in the sources in 'subproject/Header.hpp'. We
> discussed moving all headers to the ocl/ directory, but this somewhat beats
> the purpose of the modularisation we did. An alternative would be to create
> symlinks from ocl/Header.hpp to subproject/Header.hpp in ROS_ROOT
> environments. This might be the least intrusive step for now.

Ok, but here it's about a binary

> > Secondly after having used "make clean"
> > in all the packages of orocos_toolchain_ros stack, it reduced from nearly
> > 2gb to 350Mb with is by far more acceptable. Is it any "ros" tool to do
> > this ? Would it be possible to add a global "make clean" at the root of
> > orocos_toolchain_ros ?
>
> Did you compile with MinSizeRel ?

I used the default configuration and didn't thougth about this.
How may I change this with rosmake ?

> The make clean is not what you want, since
> it will also remove the libraries of the normal 'ros' packages, which don't
> have an install step (so it only makes sense for RTT and OCL right now).
>
> People are looking at how to reduce code size, but for a development
> system,
> it's always handy to have the .o files still there....

of course it is. But it is also handy to have a clean function before
copying on the robot (and not to embed the sources).

In the "classic" orocos toolchain installation I used to copy the install
folder onto my target with the same path as on the building machine. If I
could create my_orocos_toolchain.deb easily I would install then on my robot
instead of copying.

As there is no "install" step yet in ROS, I just copy the complete ros_root
folder containing all the stacks (including orocos_toolchain_ros) onto the
target. So the .o goes with it. Maybe I could do better, but I don't know
how to do it