[ros-users] Smach Concurrence transitions

Wim Meeussen meeussen at willowgarage.com
Thu Feb 24 18:29:04 UTC 2011

> I want to pass an output of an action in a state, lets say State_A, into
> another state State_B. State_B is inside a Concurrence but State_A is
> outside of it. Is this possible?
>
> So far I have managed to pass parameters by using userdata, result_slots
> and remapping between states in the same state_machine.
> However, when one state is inside a Concurrence, it complains that
> userdata is empty.

Passing userdata is the right mechanism to get data from one state to
another state.  If you want e.g. userdata 'B_data' from state B to get
outside of the concurrence container, you need to:
 * Make sure 'B_data' is available inside the container [1]. So you do
exactly the same as when you want to pass userdata between two states
in the same container.
 * Specify 'B_data' as an output_key of the container [2]. This will
make 'B_data' available to peers of the container.

[1] http://www.ros.org/wiki/smach/Tutorials/User%20Data
[2] http://www.ros.org/wiki/smach/Tutorials/Concurrence%20container

Hope this helps,

Wim