[ros-users] multi_dof_joints parameter in arm_navigation stack

Felix Messmer felix_messmer at web.de
Mon Feb 28 13:10:45 UTC 2011

Hello Sachin, hello Gil,

finally I find the time to get back to you!
Work with the multi_dof_joint goes fine so far...

There is just one more thing, that I have problems with:
I implemented a function for visualizing a trajectory (as in
move_arm_simple_action.cpp) pubishing on the 'display_path' topic.
I query the robot_state to fill the according field 'robot_state' of the
motion_planning_msgs/DisplayTrajectory.msg and I write the planned
trajectory for the arm into the 'trajectory' field of it, too. Since I
do "planning-before-moving", the platform is still in its initial
position although I set a multi_dof_joint PlatformPose to be used in the
planning process.
I also write that PlatformPose into the
'robot_state/multi_dof_joint_state' field of the DisplayTrajectory.msg.
This should place the robot to that new position while visualizing the
trajectory, right?
Unfortunately it doesn't!

Maybe this is because the multi_dof_joint_state (floating_trans_x/y/z,
floating_rot_x/y/z/w) is also already included within the
robot_state/joint_state and this overwrites the additionally given
robot_state/mutli_dof_joint_state.

Since it is only one position that I want to set and not a
multi_dof_joint_trajectory, I don't want to insert the PlatformPose in
the trajectory/multi_dof_joint_trajectory field.
There I only want to have the trajectory for the arm (model_id="arm").

Did you experienced this effect before? Maybe this case just hasn't been
considered yet.
Using the given robot_state/multi_dof_joint_state over the
multi_dof_joint_state-values in the robot_state/joint_state should fix
this problem.

Best regards,
Felix

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

> [...]
 > > and a
 > > > frame for the movable base. The world transform should be either be a
 > > 3-dof
 > > > Planar Joint with (x,y,th) or a 6-dof Floating Joint with a full
 > > orientation
 > > > matrix. We found on the PR2 that we had to use a floating joint
as there
 > > > can occasionally be enough of a pitch and roll in our IMU such
that they
 > > > need to be accounted for. It's entirely fine to do what you've done
 > > below,
 > > > which is to say that you essentially don't care about the fixed
 > > transform
 > > > and will always be planning based on the current base position of the
 > > > robot. So that should be all you need to do.
 > > >
 > > > Having a fixed reference transform should allow two important
pieces of
 > > > functionality - as you say, it should allow you to plan to move the
 > > base,
 > > > and it should also allow you to pose the robot some where else in the
 > > world
 > > > and plan based on that new pose - for instance, you might be
 > > interested to
 > > > know whether an object across the room from the robot's current
 > > location can
 > > > be picked up given a particular approach pose. By specifying a new
 > > > multi-dof transform in the start_state message our system should
support
 > > > such things, though it is not the case that our current planners
fully
 > > > support the former use-case.
 > > >
 > > > The other purpose of the multi-dof joints is to equip the system to
 > > use tf
 > > > transforms instead of just joint_state messages to populate the
current
 > > > position of the robot. The system is set up to first try to set
 > > multi-dof
 > > > joints from individually labeled entries in the joint state and then
 > > to use
 > > > tf to get a pose transform for the entire joint if it needs to. The
 > > message
 > > > you are seeing refers to one of the labeled single dofs -
 > > 'floating_trans_x'
 > > > - of the multi-dof joint 'base_joint'. The bug was that for the
 > > purposes of
 > > > checking joint limits the individually-labeled dofs were not being
 > > mapped to
 > > > the multi-dof joint.
 > > >
 > > > As arm_navigation matures we will try to do a better job of making
 > > migration
 > > > guides that explain new features and inform users what they need
to do
 > > > adopt a new version. At this point we're focused on making relatively
 > > large
 > > > changes that we hope will make things work better and make it easier
 > > to get
 > > > our stacks working on other arms, but we still have a ways to go.
We're
 > > > targeting e-turtle for a 0.9 or 1.0, at which point things should
 > > stabilize
 > > > a good deal.
 > > >
 > > > Please let us know if the bug fix doesn't work or if you have other
 > > > problems.
 > > >
 > > > -Gil
 > > >
 > > > --
 > > > E. Gil Jones (gjones at willowgarage.com)