[ros-users] ar_pose basics

Steven Bellens steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be
Mon Jan 3 08:36:06 UTC 2011

2010/12/28 Prasad Dixit <abhimohpra at gmail.com>:

> Hello Bill,
>
> I am continuing this thread since i made little progress in ar_pose.
>
> I would like to brief on the steps i executed so far:
>
> 1. I had set up ar_pose for single/ multiple markers. This is running really
> fine. It is publishing ar_pose_marker topic. It is detecting patterns
> properly.
> 2. I wanted to fuse camera and sensor input to get more accurate position
> estimation so i used ar_pose_ekf
> I executed ./runekf.sh and in launch file ar_pose_world_converter is
> configured. This is displaying poseWithCovOut all together.
>
> I have questions like:-
> 1. How can i further use poseWithCovOut to correct my robot position in
> fusion with sensor (URG-04 Laser Range) and Odometry data ? I was unable to
> see /scan or /odom topic are being subscribed in ar_pose_ekf. I saw through
> rxgraph. OR is it automatically taking internally.

ar_pose_ekf currently only works with multiple _camera's_ . It does
not take any laser / odometry sensors into account.

> 2. I am running an AMCL node. Can i connect poseWithCovOut to AMCL to get
> more accurate localized robot? OR how it helps AMCL node to correct the
> position?

As the AMCL node expects Laserscan or PointCloud data type messages,
this does not fit I'm afraid. What you can do is, with some minor
changes, use it as an Odometry source ...

> 3. Is this node doing same as what robot_pose_ekf is doing? Can i avoid the
> use of robot_pose_ekf?

I'm not familiar with the robot_pose_ekf package. However, after
taking a quick look on the wiki, I think the ar_pose_ekf actually can
work as a a single pose measurement source.

regards,

Steven