[ros-users] Diamondback, OSX, & rosdep.yaml

Nicholas Butko nbutko at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 3 22:40:06 UTC 2011

I don't know if there's an official process for this, but I want to propose some updates to rosdep.yaml for macports for the next ros release (Diamondback). The updates involve changing all py25 dependencies to py26, and changing wxWidgets to wxWidgets-python.

I have recently been having some good luck with a macports py26 setup, using the wxWidgets-python port, which basically throws out the osx graphical parts of wx in favor of gtk. By good luck, I mean that the entire suite of rxtools (at least all those mentioned in tutorials) work, which is a first for me.

It seems silly to move to py26 while everything is moving to py27. However, it looks like py27 is not immediately ready. Two python ports (yaml and epydoc) have no py27 variants, and py27-wxpython doesn't currently work in the same way as py26-wxpython.

It also seems silly to make dependency decisions on a moving target -- OSX 10.7 is looming on the horizon, and who knows what headaches it will bring.

But, for now, the py26 versions work, which is more than can be said for the current py25 ones.

If anyone besides me has strong feelings about this, I'd love to hear and discuss.

--Nick