[ros-users] urdf joint mimic tag

Mrinal Kalakrishnan mail at mrinal.net
Thu Jan 6 22:25:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I could not find any documentation about the joint <mimic> tag in
urdf. I use the tag in my own model and I can read the values using
the urdf parser, but I just want to confirm the semantics of "offset"
and "multiplier" - can I assume that the mimicked value =
angle*multiplier + offset?

Also, I'm curious as to which packages actually support the use of
mimic joints. For example, the cturtle robot_state_publisher currently
requires all joint angle values in its input, i.e., mimic joint angle
values are not inferred. Is this something that will be supported in
future, or is it just a temporary solution that will be deprecated
with urdf 2.0?

- Mrinal