[ros-users] Multiple init/start/shutdown cycles without restart

Dirk Thomas dthomas at sim.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Jan 7 12:26:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

i would like to use multiple cycles of ros::init/ros::start/ros::shutdown
without restarting the binary every time. Currently the ros::init function
protects itself from multiple calls (using the bool g_initialized).

I added/hacked an additional function ros::uninit() which currently just resets
the bool to false. Multiple ros::init/ros::start/ros::shutdown/ros::uninit
cycles are now working (without extensive testing).

I suppose that the uninit-function needs to perform more cleaning and resetting.

Are there any sideeffects i should be aware of?
Can such a function be integrated into ROS (with a more comprehensive
implementation than my one, of course)?

Dirk