[ros-users] SWIG (Python) for ROSbuild

Travis Deyle beambot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:43:57 UTC 2011

I noticed a (new?) rosbuild directive: rosbuild_add_swigpy_library

After some searches through the ros-users archive and ros.org wiki, I
haven't seen any major examples of its use.  Has anyone tried to SWIG some
of the more mature libraries / stacks?  At the moment, I'm particularly
interested in the costmap_2d and trajectory_planner libraries, but wanted to
hear about others' mileage before falling down a rabbit hole chasing after
heavy class-based SWIG wrapping.

Question to the WG ROS core developers: are python / SWIG bindings to core
libraries on the roadmap?

~Travis Deyle
PhD student @ Georgia Tech's Healthcare Robotics Lab
Co-Founder www.Hizook.com -- Robotics News for Academics & Professionals