[ros-users] Box Turtle End-of-Life (EOL)

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Jan 11 23:26:24 UTC 2011

Dear ros-users,

With the release of ROS Diamondback quickly approaching, we've decided
to set that as the Diamondback release as the date for ROS Box Turtle
end-of-life.  We will continue to host debian packages for Box Turtle,
but we will no longer produce debian packages for it.  Also, code for
Box Turtle will remain accessible.

Box Turtle was our first ROS distribution and we love it dearly, but
nearly all of the toolchain for it has been replaced based on the
lessons learned from that release.  This has put us in the position of
maintaining two separate toolchains for producing distributions.  In
order to focus our efforts and free up resources, we need to
discontinue this toolchain.

This does not setup a general policy for distributions.  This is a
special case and is also based on the observation that C Turtle has
been a stable and useful replacement.

regards,

Your ROS Neighborhood Turtle Team