[ros-users] gmapping hang-up

airthimble joseph.st.amand at mines.sdsmt.edu
Sat Jan 15 03:02:31 UTC 2011

Hello ROS-Users,

I am a student trying to complete my first working ROS project. My current
goal is to have a robot that I am able to drive around and it will use
gmapping to create a map. It is a small simple rectangular differential
drive robot. The motors are controlled by an AVR chip, I am using the
avr_bridge node to communicate odometry information and it appears to be
working quite well.

The problem that I have run into is that when I start up the gmapping node,
this is the display that I get:
-----------------
rosrun gmapping slam_gmapping scan:=base_scan
[ WARN] [1295059171.641786193]: Message from [/aten_laser_setup] has a
non-fully-qualified frame_id [base_scan]. Resolved locally to [/base_scan].
This is will likely not work in multi-robot systems.  This message will only
print once.
 -maxUrange 5.59 -maxUrange 5.59 -sigma     0.05 -kernelSize 1 -lstep 0.05
-lobsGain 3 -astep 0.05
 -srr 0.1 -srt 0.2 -str 0.1 -stt 0.2
 -linearUpdate 1 -angularUpdate 0.5 -resampleThreshold 0.5
 -xmin -100 -xmax 100 -ymin -100 -ymax 100 -delta 0.05 -particles 30
[ INFO] [1295059171.765706644]: Initialization complete
update frame 0
update ld=0 ad=0
Laser Pose= 0 0 0
m_count 0
Registering First Scan
------------------------

The first scan appears to be displayed correctly in Nav View, however, it
appears gmapping is waiting for something before it will continue to
register more scans.

Here is the output of roswtf:

roswtf
Loaded plugin tf.tfwtf
No package or stack in context
Static checks summary:

No errors or warnings
Beginning tests of your ROS graph. These may take awhile...
analyzing graph...
... done analyzing graph
running graph rules...
... done running graph rules
running tf checks, this will take a second...
... tf checks complete

Online checks summary:

Found 2 warning(s).
Warnings are things that may be just fine, but are sometimes at fault

WARNING The following node subscriptions are unconnected:
 * /slam_gmapping:
   * /reset_time
 * /avr_interpreter_request:
   * /cmd_vel
 * /nav_view:
   * /global_plan
   * /inflated_obstacles
   * /robot_footprint
   * /particlecloud
   * /obstacles
   * /reset_time
   * /local_plan

WARNING The following nodes are unexpectedly connected:
 * /avr_interpreter_request->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /hokuyo_node->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /slam_gmapping->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /avr_bridge->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /aten_setup_tf->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /avr_interpreter_odometry->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /nav_view->/rosout (/rosout)
 * /aten_laser_setup->/rosout (/rosout)

I had earlier had my tf set up incorrectly but it seems to be correct now. I
have uploaded a file containing my view_frames data.
http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/file/n2259864/frames.pdf frames.pdf

I have also attached a view of rxgraph showing the node interactions, notice
in the far right I do get a warning about not having a valid frame_id with
the Lidar. I was unable to find a way to correct this warning either.
http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/file/n2259864/Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot-1.png

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!